Who developed the ESDM?
Professor Sally Rogers and her colleagues developed the Early Start Denver Model (ESDM) over a 30-year period. The ESDM is a comprehensive intervention for young children with autism. Professor Rogers’ groundbreaking research at the M.I.N.D. Institute at the University of California pioneered the intervention and it was adopted around the world.
What is the ESDM?
Firstly, the ESDM is a set of specific strategies that professionals, and parents or caregivers, use to work with young children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Secondly,it is used in a clinic setting and in natural learning environments, such as a day care centre or at home. Thirdly, the Early Start Denver Model follows a comprehensive curriculum that is based on general children’s development. However, it addresses the unique challenges that children with ASD face. Each child has an individualised learning plan because each child is different. Above all, the ESDM is a partnership with the family. It works in partnership with families so they can have input into the program.
What is the evidence behind the ESDM?
The following links give an idea of the research base to the Early Start Denver Model:
- The original study that showed significant changes in all developmental areas
- One hour a week of ESDM leads to improvement in children with ASD
- Parent model of ESDM found to be effective in very young children at risk of ASD
- ESDM improves long-term outcomes for children with autism
- This approach to addressing unwanted behaviour shows significant improvements in behaviour
- ESDM intervention found to normalise brain activity in children as young as 18 months
- Starting the ESDm at a younger age leads to better outcomes
- The initial cost of ESDM is offset by savings down the track
OneOnOne Children’s Therapy is located in Bondi Junction in Sydney. Our team of therapists is trained at the highest levels of fidelity so we can improve children’s lives. If you want to find out more about the ESDM, then call our clinic on (02) 80657837 or email us.
Updated November 2018