The ESDM makes learning fun
It comes as no surprise to anybody when I say that children learn best when they are having fun. The question is ‘Why do they learn better when they are having fun?’. They learn better for many reasons, and a certified Early Start Denver Model (ESDM) therapist is able to get a child to the this point many times during a session so that many learning opportunities occur.
How does the ESDM do this?
• Planning the toys or activities before the session starts
• Having motivating toys available in the room so the child has choice
• Being flexible throughout the session and modifying activities to keep the child motivated
• Being sensitive to the child’s arousal levels and maintaining appropriate arousal throughout
• Working with the child to build the interest in an activity so that the therapist gets the child
to the point where high quality teaching is frequently occurring
• Ensuring that transitions across the session are smooth
How do I learn more about the ESDM?
Having fun in a Early Start Denver Model (ESDM) therapy session does not mean being entertained though. Having fun in a therapy session should lead to a lot of high quality learning. In the Early Start Denver Model, your child will have a lot of fu but they are being taught every 10 seconds so they learn quickly.
Early Start Denver Model (ESDM) a powerful, evidence based intervention for young children with autism. OneOnOne Children’s Therapy is located in Bondi Junction in Sydney. Our team of therapists is trained at the highest levels of fidelity so we can improve children’s lives. If you want to find out more about the ESDM, then call our clinic on (02) 80657837 or email us.